McDermott Will & Emery’s Energy Business Law blog offers insights into the evolving regulatory, business, tax and legal issues affecting the U.S. and international energy and commodities markets and how stakeholders might respond.
McDermott Will & Emery maintains a leading integrated energy practice, concentrated in our offices in Houston, London, New York, Paris and Washington, D.C., but regularly drawing on resources in our worldwide platform. We represent U.S. and international energy market clients in complex transactional, regulatory, enforcement, litigation and tax matters. Our lawyers have extensive experience handling matters that span the full spectrum of the energy industry, including upstream oil and gas (including LNG), midstream and downstream (including petrochemicals), electric power, energy infrastructure, renewable energy (including wind, solar, biofuels and others), trading and regulatory, carbon and emissions, metals and agriculture.
We Understand Your Business
We know and understand our clients’ businesses, with our lawyers having deep understanding of, and years of experience in, the energy sector. We assist energy industry clients achieve their business goals by providing them with creative and responsive legal services. Our clients include all major participants in the energy sector, including multinational energy companies, project developers, private equity funds, traders, institutional investors and financial institutions.
Our team also utilizes the skills of lawyers and professionals in many areas of the Firm, including our market-leading tax practice and members of our corporate and litigation practices. The lawyers who comprise our energy team are long-time members of leading industry organizations, such as the Energy Bar Association, Gulf Coast Power Association, American Wind Energy Association and the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators.
- McDermott’s Energy Advisory practice was awarded a Tier 1 ranking by the 2011 Best Law Firm rankings published by Best Lawyers-U.S. News & World Report.
- Three of the Firm’s energy lawyers were ranked as leaders in their field by Best Lawyers in America 2012.
- McDermott was nationally ranked by Chambers USA 2011 and The Legal 500 United States in the area of Renewables & Alternative Energy.
- Eleven of the Firm’s energy and commodities lawyers are individually recognized as leaders in their field in the United States by Chambers USA 2010.
- McDermott is recognized as having “the preeminent energy trading practice in the USA” by Chambers USA 2010, and the team is “regarded as peerless when it comes to CFTC investigations into power, natural gas, and crude oil trading, and many of its attorneys have backgrounds as members of the commission.”
- Chambers UK 2010 recognizes the Firm for having leading Projects & Energy and Commodities practices and four individuals as leaders in their field.
- Chambers Global 2010 recognizes McDermott as having a leading Energy practice in the United States.
- Five of the Firm’s energy and commodities lawyers are individually ranked as leaders in their field by Chambers Global 2010.
- Legal 500 2010 recognizes McDermott as having a leading Energy practice in the United States.
- Best Lawyers-U.S. News & World Report named McDermott a “Best Law Firm” in 2010 and recognized the Firm with Tier One national rankings in Energy Law and Oil & Gas Law. The Firm was also recognized for its Energy Law and Oil & Gas Law practices in Houston and its Derivatives and Futures Law practice in Washington, D.C.